Art Cinema = Action + Management 2014
The 11th edition of the European training for arthouse cinemas professionals will take place on the campus-island of San Servolo, Venice, from 26th August to 1st September 2014, during the 71th Mostra del Cinema (Venice International Film Festival).
This seminar is organized within the framework of the MEDIA Programme of the European Union.
Arthouses extended all over Europe in the 1950′s, 1960′s and 1970′s ; they now account for 4 to 5.000 among the 25.000 cinema screens on the continent. Their position is very different depending on the european regions: organized networks in Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland… and mostly isolated cinemas elsewhere. Still, there is in all countries a double need for
- preparing the young professionals who are going to be the next generation of art cinemas directors and programmers
- preparing the executive of the exhibition field to face the new challenges of our profession
The ambition of the “Art Cinema = Action + Management” training is
- to hand-on on to the new generation the specific know-how (methods, tools, ideas, contacts) for programming, animating and managing an art cinema.
- to give to the executive, a place for rethinking their job, sharing their experiences and finding windows on our profession.
>> Content of the training
The training course is divided in 2 sections : 1 for “Juniors” and the other for “Executives”.
Executives : 26/08/2014 > 30/8/2014 (5 days) / 15 participants
Juniors : 26/08/2014 > 01/09/2014 (7 days) / 35 participants
The Programme 2014 will be published before the end of March 2014
- Applications: 1 April > 2 June 2014
- Selection of the candidates and the elegibility to the scholarship : 16th June 2014
- Signature of the training conventions before: 4th July 2014
- Preparatory homework to consign before: 1st August 2014
- Beginning of the training: 26/08/2014
The lectures are translated simultaneously in 4 languages : English, French, German, Italian, apart the Excutives sessions and the Junior workshop, which will be held in English.
>> Selection criteria
Both editions are open to:
>> Citizens or Residents in the countries associated to the MEDIA Programme : European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland. Some places are available for people from other regions, but at a higher cost.
For NON MEDIA countries, please contact directly the CICAE : firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates should be fluent in one of the tuition languages (English, French, German or Italian). The workshops and the communication with professionals of many different countries require a fair knowledge of conversational English. The application will be considered definitive once a training convention has been signed.
The CICAE has a limited number of travel grants and scholarships. The CICAE Committee selection will give the names of eligible candidats for one of these two aids on 16th June 2014.
Eligible candidats must have at least one year experience in :
- an arthouse cinema
- in a mainstream cinema willing to develop art cinema
- in a film festival with the project to open a art cinema theater
Are also eligible :
- distributors/producers willing to better understand independent exhibition in Europe
- institutional workers concerned by the sector
Eligible candidates are :
- exhibitors with a minimal 5 year working experience
- programmers or managers with several years of working experience in an arthouse cinema
- institutionals concerned by the sector
Juniors: 1,400 Euro, Executives: 800 Euro
THE FEES INCLUDE:
- Pedagogical material and final report
- Accommodation in single bedrooms (personal shower, closet, phone & TV) on the campus of the Island of San Servolo. There is the possibility to be in a shared room : same gender, 2 beds with a rebate of 25€ per night. (5 nights executives, 7 nights juniors)
- Breakfast, lunch and some dinners
- Industry Professional Accreditation to the Venice International Film Festival
Travel costs are not included in the fee, however:
- many low cost airlines reach Venice or Treviso at 30 km (Easyjet, Wizzair, Ryan Air…).
- some scholars may be eligible to a transportation grant (half ticket price).
>> CICAE Scholarships
According to the MEDIA Program guidelines, the CICAE reserves a part of its overall budget to contribute towards some participants costs.
Every year, CICAE allocates a part of its budget to two kinds of scholarships:
- Travel grant, corresponding to the refund of the 50% of the plane or train ticket
- Scholarships, corresponding to a rebate on the participation fees:
- Medium Scholarship: €200 for the Executives, €550 for the Juniors
- Strong scholarship: €500 for the Executives, €950 for the Juniors
Grants are given out as a matter of priority to applicants from new MEDIA countries or other countries where no local funding is available.
- Furthermore, participants willing to share a double room will receive a rebate of €25 per day on the cost of accommodation (€100 for Executives and €150 for Juniors)
- CICAE is recognised in France as an official training organisation, and benefits from public and private sources for professional training funding (AFDAS, Uniformation, etc.)
>> National and Regional Scholarships
Many European countries offer support to professionals for attending European training programmes. This comes from a variety of sources, e.g. national and regional funds, training organisations, ministries, and varies between countries. The CICAE encourages participants to apply for financial support with their national/regional funding bodies. You are required to inform the CICAE when applying.
The MEDIA Desks located in each country are a very good source of information and advice on finding grants from national funds or institutions (as Office Fédéral de la Culture in Switzerland, Skillset in UK, Dutch Film Fund in Netherlands, Fundacja Polskie Centrum Audiowizualne in Poland…)
All the MEDIA Desk’s contacts are here :http://ec.europa.eu/culture/media/contacts_en.htm
Candidates can ask to the French Embassy of their country to support their participation.Thanks to inform the CICAE if you do such a grant application.
In any case NON-MEDIA countries’ applicants have to contact us before applying: email@example.com